Welcome to the ExPO-r-Net Publications & Press Corner. On this page you will find project-related relevant information for the media.
- June-July 2017 (Final E-Blast)
- January 2017
- September 2016
- June 2016
- March 2016
- December 2015
- September 2015
- June 2015
- February 2015
- October 2014
Press Releases & Posters:
- 28 February 2017, European Commission Press release ‘European Reference Networks: 900 medical teams to connect across Europe for the benefit of patients‘
- 27 January 2017: SIOPE Press Release ‘The SIOPE Society Day: Children First‘
- 15 December 2016: SIOPE-CRUK-Unite2Cure Press Release ‘European Cancer Community Welcomes European Parliament Support for Children with Cancer’
- 7 September 2016: MAC-CRUK-SIOPE Joint Press Release from Event ‘Review of the EU Paediatric Medicines Regulation – Let’s do more for children with cancer’
- 4 February 2016: SIOPE – ECCO – ECL – CRUK Joint Press Release for ‘World Cancer Day’
- 19 November 2015: SIOPE Press Release ‘SIOPE-MAC Event: ‘What can Europe and what can we all do to save more children’s lives?’
- October 2015: ExPO-r-Net Poster: European Expert Paediatric Oncology Reference Network for Diagnostics and Treatment ExPO-r-Net (presented at the SIOP Congress 2015 by R Ladenstein, B Brunmair, S. Essiaf, P. Kearns, A. Cañete, G. Schreier, J. Kowalczyk, L. Hjorth, R. Haupt, G. Bisogno, K. Pritchard-Jones, M. Schrappe, G. Vassal)
- 26 September 2015: The SIOPE European Cancer Plan for Children and Adolescents
Articles, Ads & Partners’ Publications:
- 7 June 2017: Ladenstein R, A cross-border healthcare network to cure childhood cancers, European Parliament Magazine
- 1 March 2017: Black H, Commission launches reference networks to face rare and complex diseases, EURACTIV.com
- 30 November 2016: Ladenstein R, A Paediatric Oncology Reference Network in Europe, Government Gazette
- July 2016: Kowalczyk JR, Samardakiewicz M, Pritchard-Jones K, Ladenstein R, Essiaf S, Fitzgerald E, Petrarulo G, Vassal G.: European Survey on Standards of Care in Paediatric Oncology Centres, European Journal of Cancer, 2016
- May 2016: Nitzlnader M, Canete Nieto A, Ribelles A, Brunmair B, Ladenstein R, Schreier G.: Interoperability Architecture for a Paediatric Oncology European Reference Network. Proceedings of ehealth2016, “Medical Informatics meets eHealth”, Vienna. Studies in health technology and informatics, 2016
- 8 April 2016: Ladenstein R, Schreier G, SIOPE and ExPO-r-Net Project welcome forthcoming General Data Protection Regulation stance on health data, EP Magazine
- May 2016: Advert on European Journal of Cancer #59
- Jan-Feb 2016: Advert on CancerWorld #70
- December 2015: Berlanga P, Segura V, Juan Ribelles A, Sánchez de Toledo P, Acha T, Castel V, Cañete A: Paediatric tumour boards in Spain: a national survey. Clin Transl Oncol, DOI 10.1007/s12094-015-1466-9
- Nov 2015: Advert on European Parliament Magazine
- 5 November 2014: Spanish ‘Technology Contribution’ Award for ExPO-r-Net, Article 1 & Article 2 (Spanish press)
European Standards of Care for Children with Cancer
The ExPO-r-Net project has been deeply inspired by a reference document in Europe, the ‘European Standards of care for Children with Cancer’.
Designed to evaluate progress in drug development, treatment and care in the various paediatric cancer treatment centres all over the continent, the ‘European Standards of care for Children with Cancer’ suggest the ideal requirements for every centre specialised in the treatment of children and young people with cancer.
Developed by SIOPE together with Professor Kowalczyk, the Polish Ministry of Health and the Polish “Communication without Barriers Foundation”, this document has been created after a first Europe-wide survey on the existing situation of paediatric haemato-oncology wards. In 2009 a first draft of the ‘Standards of Care’ document was the main outcome of a high-level conference in Warsaw, while the final document was thereafter integrated as a deliverable in the ‘European Partnership for Action Against Cancer’ (EPAAC).
The Standards are now available in 20 languages, and a second survey assessed the implementation of its recommendations after 5 years, helping project partners to better advocate improvements in the current situation.
The SIOPE Strategic Plan
Through the SIOPE Strategic Plan, the paediatric haemato-oncology community has declared its strong commitment to act and identify viable solutions to improve the cure rate, the quality of cure and the long-term survival of all patients. Officially presented and launched during the European Cancer Congress (25-29 September 2015, Vienna, Austria), and at the EU-policy level during the SIOPE – MAC Launch Event on 18th November 2015 at the European Parliament in Brussels, the Plan has been nourished by the contribution, endorsement and engagement of all relevant stakeholders involved in childhood cancer.
The outcome of this extensive consultation process has been the agreement of our multidisciplinary community to call for a European Cancer Plan for Children and Adolescents to address the 7 key objectives for the next decade.ExPO-r-Net is an integral part of such Plan, explicitly mentioned in the document’s section on objective nr. 4 “Equal access”: to bring about equal access across Europe to standard care (in both diagnosis and treatment), expertise and clinical research.
Do you want to understand more this ambitious and important document in just a few images? The infographic here below will summarise the Strategy contents for you.
For press and media enquiries on the ExPO-r-Net project, please contact: